Cuong Nhu Redwood DojoAdd to mybook
- Do you know the hours for this business?
- General Info:
- Cuong Nhu Redwood Dojo has offered traditional martial arts training to the Oakland community since 1992. With classes at the Redwood Heights Community Center, we provide serious, ongoing training in a beautiful facility, at a very low cost. Redwood Dojo is founded on a simple, straightforward love of martial arts skills and training—no boasts, no gimmicks, no fads. We welcome adults of all ages who share the desire to sweat hard, challenge mind and body, continually learn and improve themselves. Our children's program welcomes any child whose parents support them in trying an art that's both serious and fun, while offering a lifetime of rewards. Founder and head instructor D. Goodman has more than 35 years' experience in martial arts, holds the rank of Rokudan (6th degree Master) in the art of Cuong Nhu, and previously trained for many years in both Taekwondo and Aikido. A staff of dedicated black belts and brown belt students assists with the classes.
- Redwood Dojo offers instruction in the Vietnamese art of Cuong Nhu (pronounced "kung new"). 'Cuong Nhu' means 'hard-soft.' It is a modern, eclectic martial art that blends techniques and principles drawn from seven hard and soft martial arts styles: Shotokan karate, Wing Chun kung fu, Aikido, Judo, Vovinam (native Vietnamese martial arts), Tai Chi and Western-style Boxing. A beginning student will build a solid "hard style" foundation similar to what one might see in a karate or taekwondo school, with "softer" elements of evasion, trapping, joint locks and throws incorporated gradually as one progresses through the ranks. Intermediate students train with basic weapons: tambo (short stick, similar to Escrima) and bo (long staff). Advanced students have the opportunity to practice grappling as well as any number of Okinawan, Japanese and Chinese weapons. Adults with previous training in other arts often find Cuong Nhu is a comfortable system in which to return to martial arts. Join us: Challenge yourself with a rigorous workout that's never boring. Sharpen your mind and body; build health, fitness and confidence. Learn practical skills for safety and self defense. Channel stress and aggression into a beautiful form of art.
- Redwood Heights
- Our Children's Program offers age-specific and mixed-age classes, with kids 6 & up attending two to three times per week. Separate classes are provided for advanced kids and teens. Our program for children age 4.5-5 meets one day per week. Please visit our website for more details; some kids' classes have a waiting list. Our Adult Program welcomes new students who are able to attend regularly at least two days per week. Check the schedule, and feel free to speak to the instructor about your options. Also check the website for the next Free Workout date if you wish to try a class. Visitors are welcome at any time. We also offer an Introduction to Self Defense seminar by special arrangement for Girl Scout troops, mother-daughter groups and other organizations.
- Martial Arts Instruction, Exercise & Physical Fitness Programs