06/11/2011Provided by Citysearch -
We've eaten here twice. The first time, we were new to the neighborhood, and thought it would be fun to check out our favorite food: Mexican. So, we ordered on the phone and took some food to go. We were very disappointed. The food was not authentic Mexican, and just didn't taste very good. A year goes by, and we walk by Connie's every day while on walks with our dog. We see a sidewalk sign that advertises shrimp tacos yesterday, and decide to give Connie's one more try. We sit down outside (as we have our dog with us), and are basically ignored for 10 minutes. Finally, we are greeted, and our order is taken. Another 20 minutes passes. No food, no chips/salsa, nothing. (I should note, the place was not crowded, as they only had one other table of guests inside). Eventually, our food arrives. It tastes just OK, but we figured this might be the case considering our first experience here, so we weren't expecting a lot. After eating, we again waited about 10 minutes for the check. Eventually, we figure out that we are expected to go inside to ask for the check and pay. The slow and somewhat unfriendly service and the lackluster food wasn't the worst part. Within several hours, my partner and I were both stricken with severe food poisoning. So sick in fact, that we had to leave in the middle of seeing a movie at the Grand Lake Theater just a few doors down (after getting ill in the theater's bathroom). I called to let the owner know about this incident this morning. Instead of listening to me, she constantly talked over me, telling me that she's been in business for 15 years, has many happy customers and that no one else has called to say they got sick yesterday (hey, they've only been open 2 hours today....maybe she will still get some calls). She then said it was probably US that was the issue.....that our individual stomachs probably just weren't used to the food and that's why we got sick. Really? You're blaming your customer for getting sick? Hey, if one person gets a little upset tummy afterward, then maybe it's them. But if TWO people eat the same dish and get projectile vomiting afterwards, I think it's safe to say it was the food and not the customers fault. Connie eventually offered us a free meal as a sign of good faith, which I appreciated but kindly declined. After that, she asked if we wanted our money refunded. (Um yeah! Why does she have to ask? Shouldn't this be offered?) In the end we didn't take the meal or the refund. I would NEVER go back here for the simple fact of how she handled the phone call. She got defensive, didn't listen, didn't take ownership of the fact that her food made us violently ill, and instead placed the blame elsewhere. NOT the sign of a place I want to patronize in the future.