We've taken our dog here for about two years. They did a neuter and several check ups etc. I also get my dog groomed there. Overall good service, but they can be very pricey. Recently needed a refill on my dog's prescription (standard worm preventative) and they wouldn't do it without an expensive office visit. After all I've spent here you'd think they just do the refill (I was getting it online) but no, they want their money. So yeah...good service, but they're also a little overpric...view moreed.view less
Blue Cross Pet Hospital
- General Info:
- Founded in 1949, Blue Cross Pet Hospital is a full-service animal hospital providing medical, surgical and dental veterinary care to the patients. Based in North Hollywood, Calif., the hospital offers emergency veterinary services to the North Hollywood animal community. It offers an array of services for the dogs and cats. Blue Cross Pet Hospital offers discounted services to senior citizens and local area rescue groups. The clinic has facilities, such as in-house pharmacy, laboratory, radiology facilities and intensive care units (ICU) for pet's medical care. The Pet Stop located next door to the hospital offers veterinarian approved pet supplies, prescription diets, bathing and grooming services for all breeds of dogs and cats.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield, prescription diets
- Payment method:
- all major credit cards, amex, diners club, discover, master card, visa
- South Valley, Mid-Town North Hollywood
- Veterinary Clinics & Hospitals, Veterinarians, Veterinarian Emergency Services, Veterinary Specialty Services, Pet Services, Pet Boarding & Kennels, Kennels, Pet Grooming, Pet Specialty Services
- Other Information:
Price Range : Average
Specialties: Avian, Internal Medicine, Oncology, Birds, Dentistry, Gastroenterology
I just brought my dog in for a sudden swollen chin, which I thought might have been from either a bug bite, an infection, or swollen lymph node. They had a quick look at him, maybe 3 minutes tops, and asked if had gotten into anything. Since the answer was no, they just assumed it was due to a slightly loose tooth he had. They prescribed two anti-imflammatory medicines and then said to hang tight while they went and got me an estimate. An estimate? This wasn't a surgery procedure, it w...view moreas just for a couple prescriptions. I suddenly had that chill run down my back knowing I was about to get ripped off.
I wait 20 minutes in the room before finally peeking my head out and asking what was the delay, ten seconds later they had the "estimate" printed out, like they had forgotten I was even in there.
$57 for the visit. Fine, whatever. But the two meds totaled $90. Argh, annoying. Whatever, I paid.
But then, while waiting for prescription in the waiting room, I Google the meds to find they are sold online at prices about 3x cheaper. At tons of online stores AND even Walmart. I ask about getting a price decrease and they say they do, do price matching to "stay competitive" but the owner wasn't there and to call Monday if I wanted to talk to him. Of course, I call Monday, give them a bunch of sites where it is much, much cheaper. They call back later to say the owner "declined" to price match stating that you never know what you are getting with these online sites and that they are wholesaling them too cheap. Fine, forget the online sites, look at WALMART, they aren't some overseas business and they have the same prices too. No luck.
I had someone I know that works at a rescue go check what their vet buys Clovamox drops (one of the drugs in question) and they said their cost for it was only $10! Nice 4x markup Blue Cross.
Other vets nearby offer free first visits as well, so I'd keep looking and avoid this place. The vet looking over my pet for 3 minutes and having no real diagnosis ran me about $150 out the door.
I never realized these places ALSO make their money on medicine markups, which I find pretty shady.
And this 15ml bottle that I paid for, seems to only be half-full, just enough to cover their 7 days, 1ml a day prescription.
I'd definitely try somewhere else.view less
I have been taking my pets to Blue Cross Pet Hospital for over ten years. They have seen all of my pets for a variety of reasons: regular check ups, shots, etc. A few weeks ago, my dog, Bubba, got out of our yard and was hit by a car. We immediately went to Blue Cross. Even though it was a Sunday, they were open, and gave our dog the best care. They even stayed late to make sure Bubba was ok. Dr. Jones and her staff took so much time with us, answering all of our questions, calmi...view moreng us down, but most of all, they took EXCELLENT care of our beloved Bubba. I am happy to say that Bubba is on the mend and back to his old self. Thank you Dr. Jones and the whole Blue Cross Pet Hospital staff!!view less