The Canine Connoisseur Program
The Beverly Hills Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif. - The Beverly Hills Hotel, an L.A. landmark in the realm of hospitality, has long been known for catering to divas. Now they've really polished their act -- offering guests bone-shaped cookies with their dog's name handwritten on each one, a cozy doggie bed and slobber-worthy bowl (above). Also, get this, a few of the hotel's signature pink tennis balls to chew on. All they ask is a $200 non-refundable cleaning fee, that you stay in the bungalows and bring only one dog (under 35 lbs.). On the pup-scale, this one gets five barks.
Pet-Room Service Menu
Hotel deLuxe in Portland, Ore. - Kibbles 'N Bits get old. You know it. Your dog knows it. That's why Hotel deLuxe treats their VIPs (Very Important Pets) to a doggie room-service menu with the likes of Brauts-n-Tots and Susie's Shepherd's Pie, a home-style blend of venison, buffalo, beef, and fresh red apples. There's even a Love Potion #9 concoction of beef, potatoes, zucchini and tomatoes that's said to be "love at first bite."
The Doggie Spiritual Menu
Hotel Max in Seattle, Wash. - When it comes to the enlightenment of your house pet, no hotel takes greater pains to expand their horizons than the Hotel Max in Seattle. Spiritual awakenings await you in the form of talks from psychologists, trainers and pet communication experts, who can help evolve your canine's emotions and intellect. There's also acupuncture for your dog or cat and doggie massage, covering every inch of your prized pooch, from ears to paws. Just what your pet needs to recharge before returning to the working world.
Doggie Yappy Hour
Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niguel, Calif. - Rarely does your dog get to work the room and schmooze while you lap up a glass of white wine. At the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel's monthly cocktail party called the Yappy Hour -- the "ulti-mutt dog party" -- pooches, pups, hotel guests and community residents all mingle while snacking on complimentary dog biscuits as well as human food and libations (for a cost). Even better? Proceeds from the event support the Laguna Beach Animal Shelter, which provides temporary care for lost, stray, sick or injured animals rescued by Animal Services officers within city limits.
Kimpton's HosPETality Program
Kimpton Hotels, Nationwide - As perhaps the most pet-friendly hotel group in the U.S., Kimpton goes to great lengths to make sure your pet dog, cat, bird or rascally rabbit never feel left behind. Many of their hotels have even appointed "Directors of Pet Relations," which are really resident house pets who throw guests a bone with their insider knowledge. This in addition to paw-parazzi photo contests, dog-walking services, pet massages and even a "Guppy Love" program, offering a complimentary goldfish to guests during their stay for some "colorful stress-free bonding." Or free cat food.
A few of the pet-friendliest Kimpton hotels:
• Hotel Palomar -- San Francisco, Calif.
• Hotel Monaco Portland -- Portland, Ore.
• Hotel Palomar Dallas -- Dallas, Texas
• Hotel Burnham -- Chicago, Ill.
• The Muse New York -- New York, N.Y.
Pet-Friendly Hotel Amenities
Dogs have it ruff. They spend 98% of their lives inside one home and if they're lucky, the other 2% in the doghouse. But what about the overworked pup who wants to get a doggie massage in a four-star salon, eat a Filet and consult a pet psychic on a road trip?
Sniff no further. We're currently experiencing an explosion of posh pooch amenities in hotels. Places that welcome pets open arms instead of telling them to flea. Haute hotels devoted entirely to their VIPs: Very Important Pets. Paradises that take great pains to keep man and his best friend together. Here are a few of the greats.