- The food world's been good to Geoffrey Zakarian. He first cut his teeth as a chef at Le Cirque. Eventually opened his first restaurant, Town, in New York. Opened another called Country. Wrote a well-received cookbook called 'Town / Country'. And after a few more stops, ended up as chef/partner of The Lambs Club and The National in NYC (where he is now).
In between cooking up hot spots, Zakarian became a judge on Food Network's 'Chopped' and won season four of 'The Next Iron Chef, Super Chefs' on the Food Network. Accomplished, indeed. Here are Geoffrey's five favorite restaurants:
- Bern's Steakhouse - Tampa, FL - "There is only one reason to go to Bern's: the wine list. The only place in the U.S. to find such depth, breadth and value within one list."
- Masa - New York, NY - "I have only dined here once, but the meal I experienced was incredibly memorable. Never in a meal have I learned something during every single course. Masa is a true master technician."
- Bottega - Yountville, CA - "This Napa restaurant by Michael Chiarello has it right. Expert cooking with a casual, approachable ambiance. I can't wait to return."
- Bartolatta - Las Vegas, NV - "Paul [Bartolotta] is just so incredibly committed to the fish and his product -- you can taste his dedication in the food."
- Balthazar - New York, NY - "I go here for the best seafood plateau in New York. To me, there is nothing more enjoyable than enjoying some rose and eating through three tiers of raw and chilled seafood. The setting helps -- Keith McNally has transplanted the perfectly worn in Francophile hustle and bustle."