Plaza Jewish Community Chapel IncAdd to mybook
- Social Links:
- Visit Twitter Page | Visit Facebook Page
Open 7 Days ; Open Holidays ; Appointments Available ; 24 Hour Emergency Service Available
- General Info:
- Plaza is the first and only funeral chapel in New York that is owned and operated by the Jewish Community as a service rather than a business. Plaza is a facility that was formerly owned and operated by Service Corporation International (SCI) as part of its network of publicly-owned, for profit funeral homes. Why does the community need to own a funeral chapel? Helping families at the time of death was traditionally the responsibility of the community acting through a Chevra Kadisha (burial society). Most of the family-owned funeral businesses that functioned like a Chevra Kadisha have been sold to publicly traded corporations that must make a profit and pay a dividend to shareholders. Vulnerable families were the victims of sales pressure that caused funeral observances to depart from the simplicity and dignity of a Jewish funeral. New York's Attorney General determined that SCI was a monopoly that charged unfairly high prices. He forced SCI to sell Plaza Memorial Chapel, Inc. to break the monopoly. What can you expect from us? Plaza ensures that families receive information regarding Jewish funeral practices in a compassionate manner, free of commercial pressure, so that loved ones can select the arrangements which suit their needs and feel assured about their choices. Plaza's professional staff works under your rabbi's direction if you are a member of a congregation and will assist you in finding the right rabbi for your needs.
- Extra Phones:
Phone: (914) 557-1654
Fax: (212) 769-4896
- Funerals rank among the most expensive purchases many consumers will ever make. A traditional funeral can easily cost well over $10,000. Years ago, funeral homes were locally-owned family businesses with deep community roots and a tradition of serving the needs of friends and neighbors. Today, more often than not, funerals are sold in the same manner as any other consumer product by salesmen who work for commissions. Plaza was created by the community as a response to this trend. In 15 months of operation, Plaza reduced the basic chapel costs by 22% (more than $1200) compared to its commercial predecessor and its largest corporate competitor in Manhattan. We are dedicated professionals whose sole mission is to help families select the arrangements that suit their individual needs in an atmosphere of caring and trust that is free of commercial pressure. The information on costs presented here is not intended to replace a personal meeting with our funeral directors but is designed to facilitate greater understanding of the typical charges that appear on a funeral contract and why the cost of a funeral can easily exceed expectations by thousands of dollars. Because those who purchase funerals are often in a highly vulnerable emotional state and are more readily susceptible to questionable sales practices, the sale of funerals is closely regulated by the Federal Trade Commission.
- Payment method:
- all major credit cards, check, insurance
- Upper Manhattan, Upper West Side
- Family room, Grief Counseling, Web casting
- Funeral Directors, Crematories, Funeral Directors Equipment & Supplies, Funeral Supplies & Services, Caskets, Funeral Planning, Funeral Information & Advisory Services