St Patrick Cemetery-Mausoleum
143 City Park Ave, New Orleans, LA 70119
Be the first to add a photo!
03/14/2011Provided by Citysearch -
The St. Patrick Cemeteries are Catholic cemeteries at the foot of Canal Street by City Park Ave where the Canal Street car ends. They are run by the New Orleans Archdiocese. The St. Patrick cemeteries were originally constructed by the Irish community to bury their dead. They all date from the time of the yellow fever outbreaks in the early 1840s. The Irish, who were not acclimated to this humid swamp that was New Orleans, were severely affected by this epidemic. St. Patrick Cemetery No. 2 was established in 1841. Most of the workers on the New Basin Canal were Irish, so these cemeteries were very active. There are many Irish names on the tombs such as Wallace, Killeen, and Duffy. These cemeteries are some of the oldest in the city.