Peninsula Orthopedic Associates Inc
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Sports Medicine
- Seton Medical Office Ctr II
- St. Francis Heights
- Physicians & Surgeons, Orthopedics, Sports Medicine & Injuries Treatment, Physicians & Surgeons, Physicians & Surgeons, Surgery-General, Physicians & Surgeons, Sports Medicine, Physicians & Surgeons, Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment, Physicians & Surgeons, Pediatrics, Physicians & Surgeons, Pediatrics-Orthopedic Surgery
- Other Information:
By Appointment Only: Yes
03/14/2009Provided by Citysearch -
Please see excerpts of a letter I send them at the time:
On June 30th I ruptured my biceps tendon at the shoulder during an athletic competition. I was advised by my fellow athletes to go to the emergency room right away and to have the tendon reattached as soon as possible to facilitate the recovery. When I called your ER (Seton Hospital) I explained all this and also the urgency of the matter. I explicitly asked whether it would be possible to have surgery right away, under such conditions and I was replied that if the case was so, it would be possible. When I got to the ER. I saw a couple of nurses and then someone who might have been a doctor, but that had no idea of the diagnosis till I told him what was mine. He said he would call a doctor who?d specialized in orthopedics. He called (I learned afterwards) Dr Khan, who told me there was no urgency for surgery, and that it could be done now or in one month without any problems. In the meantime, though I was obviously in pain NOONE, not the nurses or the doctor, gave me any ice to keep the inflammation down. I HAD TO ASK FOR IT. They brought me this ice bag which was stiff, too full if ice and impossible to put on. THEY DID NOT HELP ME AT ALL to put it on. I tried WITH ONE ARM to remove some of the ice, WHILE THEY WERE THERE WATCHING!!!!!, and put in on, but gave up, since they told me I could go.
The ?advice? I got from Dr Khan, was reiterated again by him on the following Monday when I went to see him. I could wait 1-3 months before having surgery. This advice was repudiated by 1) the info I got anywhere on the web 2) 4 other doctors, at 3 different hospitals that I went to for second opinions. I ended up having surgery on July 12th and the doctor who performed the surgery said that the tendon was already 3 inches shorter and that had I waited 7-10 more days it would have been impossible to attach it. Reality was that if I had done it right away, it would have been best for me.