I found Danny’s Cycle Center in the yellow pages and called them to get repairs on my Son’s Kazuma ATV for a leaking carburetor, leaking tires, loose chain, oil change and a new spark plug. Danny agreed to call me with an estimate and he did the next day with a quote for $180 to perform the work listed on the Invoice he gave me in person. I agreed to the repairs at the $180.
Danny called me approximately a week later stating that the starter had to be removed in order to access the carburetor and that there would be an additional $100 in labor for this. I expressed that I thought the amount was high but agreed to it after he convinced me he was the cheapest in town and would perform excellent service. He also proceeded to inform me, for the first time, that he had been burned to many times in the past and required payment before he started repairs. I felt hesitant to do so at first but after him further convincing me it was his policy and the way he has operated for years, I went ahead and provided him with my check debit Visa number over the phone to make the $180 charge for full repair of the items listed on the invoice. He stated it should only take a couple weeks and would call me when completed.
A few weeks later, on 12/10/2012, I noticed a charge on my check debit Visa for the amount of $35 from Danny’s Motorcycle Repair that I had not authorized. I immediately called Danny and asked him why he charged my Visa and he stated that the throttle cable on the ATV was bent and damaged so he put on a new one. He continued to tell me that I should have noticed the throttle cutting in and out prior to him having possession of it. I told him that I hadn’t noticed that and in fact the throttle was smooth and had no issues at all prior. Danny stated in an agitated voice “well it was damaged and it needed a new one so I replaced it.” I told him that I didn’t authorize the charge and asked that he not charge my Visa again without consent.
From December to August was a nightmare including many phone calls and hundreds of text messages of trying to get my Son’s ATV back. Each time with another excuse as to why he hadn’t finished or why I could not have it back. I several times told him I just wanted my property back even if it wasn’t finished and he would not comply. I even made several trips to his shop and could never find anyone there during his website’s listed business hours. I spoke to a tenant in the next warehouse over who informed me that he had been evicted and gave me his new location. He never shared with me that he had moved. After several trips by the new location over a few months period, I still could not catch anyone there. In August I spoke with another neighboring tenant to this newer location who informed me that he was being evicted and had been coming and going at different times during the week loading up a trailer and leaving with the contents. After texting with him back and forth during this entire time, I was finally able to get the ATV back from his shop by meeting another person there on September 5th, 2013 that Danny claimed was his business partner.
I immediately took it over to another local ATV repair shop I knew about called Atlantic Cycle Service (ACS).
ACS said the work I paid Danny for was never performed and the ATV wouldn’t even run any longer when I brought it to ACS. Not only did Danny not perform the work I took it to him for, he also lied about replacing the throttle cable and the fact that the starter had to be removed requiring the extra $135 in charges.
It cost me $377.31 at ACS to get the ATV working again and all the repairs performed that I had paid Danny to do. Thanks to Danny, I had to pay extra because he left in in a state where it wasn’t running any longer and had replaced a piece of the carburetor with a part that was the incorrect size part causing ACS a lot of time to diagnose what exactly the issue was with the carburetor.