Boys & Girls Clubs of AmericaAdd to mybook
- General Info:
- Mission Statement: The Boys & Girls Club of Ludlow is an organization committed to helping youth of all backgrounds develop leadership skills, self-esteem and character. We strive to assist all youth to become responsible citizens by providing quality cultural, social, educational, physical and recreational opportunities in neighborhood facilities. This will be accomplished by involving staff, board members, family and community in effective participation toward these ends. History: The clock atop the number eight mill of the Ludlow Manufacturing Associates is probably the most familiar landmark in the town of Ludlow ; yet running the timepiece a close second is the Stevens Memorial Building on Chestnut Street. Years ago, this building was known as the "Rec" and the mere mention of the name begins a flood of wonderful memories of swimming, dances, and exciting athletic events. In March of 1949, the Board of Selectman presented an article in the town meeting recommending that the town of Ludlow purchase the Stevens Memorial Building and property. The voters gave their full support to the article and voted unanimously to purchase the complex. In June 1949, at a special town meeting, it was voted unanimously that the Stevens Memorial Building continue to be used for recreational purposes for the entire town, with the understanding that the town of Ludlow would maintain the building in the areas of janitorial service, heating, cost of public utilities and capital improvements. The building officially became Ludlow Community Center. On October 19, 1949 the corporation charter was received from the State of Massachusetts for Ludlow Community Center with the purpose of the Center to be as follows: to promote good citizenship and to provide a place or places with facilities and equipment for educational and recreational activities for both the young and adult citizens of both sexes irrespective of race, creed, or color. The Corporation was to be absolutely non-sectarian. In February of 1950, Mr. Pagos was hired by the Board of Directors and on March 1, 1950, Ludlow Community Center opened its doors for the youth and adults of the town. The Center applied for and received admittance as a member agency of Springfield United Fund. The next priority was getting the building in shape for expanded services. A great deal of work had to be done and the community took on the job with enthusiasm and vigor. With the help of many volunteers and service groups in the town the Center took on a new appearance with all areas renovated and painted. The Executive Director and staff planned a variety of diversified programs and activities for the many youngsters and adults flocking to the Center. Membership steadily increased each year as kids and adults came not only from Ludlow, but also from Indian Orchard, Wilbraham, Sixteen Acres, and Springfield. As a result of the increased membership and the need for additional programs and services, renovations were made which included modern locker rooms, toilet areas, more swimming pool deck space, a new boys' game room, an enlarged girls' sewing area, arts & crafts facilities and more office space. In April of 1962, the Corporation voted to change the name to "The Ludlow Boys & Girls Club, Inc We are proud of what our Club means to the community ; thousands of boys and girls have passed through the doors of the Club during the past forty-nine years with fond memories of the many activities they participated in and many friends they made. As we look back over the years we realize that all this has been made possible through those individuals and groups who cared and gave of themselves along with the Ludlow Boys & Girls Club to help thousands enter adulthood as responsible caring citizens.
- Extra Phones:
Phone: (413) 547-6382
Ludlow Boys' & Girls' Club Inc
- Social Service Organizations, Youth Organizations & Centers