Gateway Animal Hospital
10/14/2009Provided by Citysearch -
Warning: please never take your animal to Gateway Animal Hospital.
I took my best friend there and they killed him during a routine teeth cleaning. My heart is broken. It looks like a nice place initially, but they hide a lot of darkness behind the facade.
Before he got the teeth cleaning which they recommended, I told them to do the full gamut of tests on him to assure that he could handle anesthesia. They told me that they did the tests and that he was a healthy dog with a ""strong heart"". An hour after I dropped him off, they called me to tell me that he had died. When my husband & I picked up our babies body, they left him bloody with instruments sticking out of him. It is traumatic enough to lose a loved one, but then to have him presented in such a disgusting and insensitive way is horrible. They were cold and uncaring. They asked if I wanted a plastic bag for him as I left sobbing with my boy in my arms. They were not compassionate at all. They also lied to either my husband or I, because they told us conflicting stories of the reason of death. They did not get there story straight. I wanted to get to the bottom of his death, so I did.
I had his files sent to another veterinarian to see if there was any foul play in the way he died. Not to sue, but to educate other pet owners of the dangers of Gateway. After a ton of resistance on there end, they finally sent them. No where in his file had his weight. He is only 5 lbs! The dangers of anesthesia are overdosing. It is vital to be 100% accurate on the weight or a being can die from overdose. The notes were in chicken scratch and were unreadable. They also had no notes about the dosage of anesthesia that they had given my boy. I believe could easily have been hiding incriminating information. The veterinarian that looked over them for me said he was shocked at there lack of information and professionalism.
I will never know exactly what happened that morning when they killed my best friend, but I do know that they have conflicting stories, no information documented, and have been nothing but cold and cruel to me since his death. Gateway Animal Hospital is a dangerous place. Please please stay away from them and educate others of the dangers for the life of your pet.