3.0 star rating
The Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance of Greater Houston is a peer support group for people with Depression or Bipolar Disorder. The anecdotal accounts of individual struggles and successes with mood disorders are the most powerful ameliorative therapy outside of medication. The Houston branch is the local chapter of the national organization in Chicago. The... view more
Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance Greater HoustonAdd to mybook
- General Info:
- In response to a critical need expressed by individuals living with the illnesses of depression and bipolar disorder, a group of dedicated individuals formed the Depressive Manic Disorder Association (DMDA) Greater Houston in 1979. The Houston chapter joined the national organization in 1989. During the first 20 years of the organizations existence, volunteers took leadership positions to create DMDA Greater Houstons first board of directors. In 2003, DMDA Greater Houston changed its name to Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance Greater Houston (DBSA). Led by Gary Levering, a dedicated and enthusiastic participant, DBSA formed its own 501(c) (3) corporation. Mr. Levering utilized his personal experience and strong community connections to recruit and build the initial DBSA board of directors, and the Board is still strong and active today. DBSA free support groups help individuals, family members and friends understand these two difficult, yet treatable, mental disorders. In addition, DBSA works to educate the public about depression and bipolar disorders, confront social stigma and advocate for the rights of people living with mental disorders. Our free support groups are led by trained, dedicated and passionate facilitators. Our groups provide a compassionate environment consisting of peers who accept and understand each other. This sense of community and empathy gives participants encouragement to live more meaningful and healthy lives. Thanks to contributions from individual and foundations, DBSA is able to provide free support groups to individuals living with depression and bipolar disorder, as well as loved ones who are helping with their journey of wellness.
- Extra Phones:
Fax: (713) 600-1137
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance Greater Houston provides free and confidential support groups for individuals living with, or family and friends affected by, depression and bipolar disorders.
- We have 51 Sites across the Greater Houston Area.
- Support Groups are Free and confidentialNo Registration required for adults 18 and older.
- English, Spanish
DBSA Greater Houston
- Support Groups, Mental Health Services