To promote bicycling's healthful and green attributes by providing Hawaii's families and cyclists with quality goods and services, deep selection and fair prices so bicyclists can continue to enjoy the freedom and fitness that cycling provides. In 1908 at the age of nineteen, Toichi Eki arrived in Honolulu, Hawaii from Yanai City in Yamaguchi Prefecture, Japan. While many of his companions on the long boat ride over headed out to the sugar plantations for work, this young Japanese immigrant was lucky to have a brother-in-law who landed him a job clearing brush for the next nine-hole expansion plan of the exclusive Oahu Country Club golf course. Eki was promoted to bus boy, then waiter and within three years had saved up enough money to launch a business venture with a relative. Noticing an increase in bicycle use among workers and students, the entrepreneurial Eki saw potential in this market and so, in classic pursuit of the American dream, he opened a small one room bicycle store on King Street - Eki's Cyclery. Toichi Eki and his wife Miyo went on to raise two sons and four daughters in back of the original store at King and Alapai. Back when the store was first starting out, the sale of a single tire would mean dinner for the family that night! Business gradually improved, enabling Eki to pay his $10 monthly rent promptly. He soon moved next door to a spacious shop 14 feet wide which rented for $16 a month. The distinctive plantation-style wooden walls of the original Eki Cyclery are now long gone, but our business continues in high gear and into its third generation at 1603 Dillingham Boulevard in Kalihi. In the mid-60's, Toichi Eki's son, Jack Yoshio, youngest daughter, June Setsuko and her husband Shuichi Arakawa, took over and guided our store into the business that it is today. A branch store was opened in Ala Moana Center from 1966 to 1987 and the main store moved to Dillingham Boulevard in 1971.