September 15, 2008 Columbia Gas of Ohio
A NiSource Company
200 Civic Center Drive
Columbus, OH 43215
#### Westlake Drive
Galloway, OH 43119
An important Safety Message for residents of the Cameron Creek Apartments:
This letter is to inform you of a serious safety issue at the Cameron Creek Apartments. The Problem involves both your water heater and furnace and can potentially get worse this fall when you begin using your furnace. Because of our safety concerns, Columbia Gas of Ohio plans to terminate gas services to the Cameron Creek Apartments beginning October 13, 2008.
Your gas appliances, combustion air supply and venting system are the responsibility of the property owner. Columbia Gas of Ohio, however, has the responsibility under its operating procedures to ensure that gas service is provided in accordance with the National Fuel Gas Code (NFPA 54). The code is written to make sure that gas appliances are properly vented and get enough oxygen for the proper burning of the natural gas. If your appliances don’t get enough oxygen, carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, which can cause serious illness or death.
Columbia believes there are problems with improper combustion/ventilation/dilution air configurations at the Cameron Creek Apartments. For several months Columbia has been having discussions and meeting with the representatives of the apartment owner to seek a solution to the problem. But we have yet to receive confirmation that any action has been taken to correct it. CO detectors have been installed, but this does not eliminate the hazardous situation and may not prevent CO poisoning.
As a result of the serious nature of these improper configurations Columbia has notified the complex owner that it will begin to terminate gas services to the Cameron Creek apartments on October 13. Services will be restored to each apartment as soon as the necessary modifications are made so that code requirements are met and safety is ensured. We realize the inconveniences this will cause to the apartment resident but feel this action is necessary to prevent a serious illness or death as a result of CO poisoning.
In the meantime we request that all resident make sure that their CO detectors are plugged in and in proper working order. If you or a family member shows any signs of CO poisoning, such as flu-like symptoms or a continuous headache, please evacuate the building and call 911 for emergency services.
If you have any additional questions about this safety alert please contact our call center at 1-800-344-4077
Sincerely, Columbia Gas of Ohio