San Juan Center for IndependenceAdd to mybook
Approximate number of views of this business profile
Number of people that like this business on Facebook
Number of people that have checked into this location
It's all about CHOICE!
Regular HoursSat - SunClosed
- General Info:
- San Juan Center for Independence is a community based nonprofit agency that was established by people with disabilities for people with disabilities. There are over 400 Independent Living Centers in the country. SJCI is one of five IL centers in New Mexico. New Mexico also has four satellite centers SJCI operates a satellite center in Gallup New Mexico. All Independent living centers are non residential, consumer controlled and directed as well as cross disability focused. SJCI provides a wide array of services to assist and empower individuals with disabilities to live independently in their communities with necessary supports. SJCI is truly a community where individuals with disabilities can come and pursue their desire for independenceSan Juan Center for Independence is a non-profit organization providing services for people with disabilities. Our services include personal card agency, intendment living specialists, peer mentorship and advocacy, traumatic brain injury life skill coaching, assistive technology loan program, procurement for assistive technology, disability support groups.Independent Living has a rich history that originated in Berkeley, California in the late 1960?s with a handful of disabled students who believed in their abilities to live active, productive, visible and satisfying lives. This small group has swelled to an international civil rights movement that is responsible for many victories, including the Americans with Disabilities Act. Together, this movement has paved the way for more meaningful lifestyles for all people with disabilities-as well as humankind in general. Independent living is a philosophy which states that individuals with disabilities, like all people, inherently know what they most need in order to succeed. This philosophy embraces some very basic tenents: Inclusion: To erase the “specialness” from the lives of people with disabilities and encourage an open door policy in communities’ housing, job force, schools, transportation and all other facets of community life. Consumer Control gives individuals with disabilities freedom to choose how they prefer to live their lives-as well as latitude to be responsible for their actions. Strength focuses on affirmation, acceptance and potential rather than deficits or failure. It is a declaration of disability – not inability. Self Empowerment is recognition of self worth and control. It expands with self authority, determination and personal success, and helps make life an exciting adventure.
- Developmental Disabilities Services
- Hearing Impaired Services
- Locally Owned
- Physical Disability Products and Services
- Speech Aids
- Vision Impaired Services
- Payment method:
- Developmentally Disabled & Special Needs Services & Products, Disability Services, Social Service Organizations