I started eating at The Chili King in the mid 1950's. It was one of my Grandfather's favorite places. My Grandmother used call it a "Greasy-Spoon". Well, maybe ... but the chili is still the best you'll find. I haven't lived in DSM for decades but still make it to the Chili King every time I'm in town. And, yes, it hasn't changed much since the 50's. -WG Van Dyck
George The Chili King Drive-Inn
- General Info:
- Dine in with George. Serving good, quality food, so our customers keep coming back!
There's nothing like a classic diner and drive-in to experience that old-fashioned American pastime: eating good food with good people. It's even better when delicious classics like hamburgers, chili, and hot dogs are on the menu.
George The Chili King Drive-In has been serving great food in Des Moines, IA since 1952. We first opened as a diner and drive-in with carhop service, and that's how we've remained all these years. Now, 63 years later, we are the only one left in the area! "Excellent-Worth a Detour" as rated by Road Food.
Our food is available for:
- Take-out Whether you want to stay a while and soak in the vintage vibe or just pick something up to bring back to your place, George The Chili King Drive-In can make it happen. Owner George Karaidos aims to please. After all, that's how we've managed to remain in business all these years. Come by and stay a while! Our chili is truly one-of-a-kind. To get a taste of a Des Moines, IA area classic, drive in to George The Chili King Drive-In today
- F, Pink Lemonade Iced Tea
- Payment method:
- discover, master card, visa, amex, cash, debit
- Merle Hay
- Fast Food Restaurants, Take Out Restaurants, Mexican Restaurants, American Restaurants, Hamburgers & Hot Dogs, Latin American Restaurants, Restaurants
- Other Information:
Cuisines: Burgers, American, Mexican, Hot Dogs, Fast Food, Latin American, Diner
Price Range : Below Average
talk about a blast from the past. This place is an old 50s style drive in with a catch. Its not a new one this place has been open that long and still operates like it did back when it opened :)\r
super food i highly recomend the Chili give it a try if your going to eat in your car anyway :)