The Bagel Restaurant & Deli
- BBB Rating:
- Social Links:
- Visit Facebook Page
- General Info:
- The Bagel Restaurant & Deli proudly serves Chicago, IL. Our mission is to consistently provide our clients with the most unique and pleasurable eating experience in our old world style restaurant. Our staff is very friendly and attentive to you, and our restaurant is family friendly and full of charm! We've got: • Entrees • Piled High Deli Sandwiches • Award-Winning Soups • Tempting Desserts • And More Our background includes a lifetime of prized, traditional recipes. Armed with these marvelous family secrets and a desire to provide authentic Jewish cooking, the owners established The Bagel in 1950 as a premier ethnic eatery, dedicated to serving delicious traditional cooking. As we continue in our second half century with many of our original staff still aboard, we invite you to come home to The Bagel and join us soon for a taste of tradition. Call us today for Award-Winning, authentic, old world Jewish cooking.
- Fish & Seafood Menus|Appetizers|Chicken Menus|Mediterranean Menus|Chinese Menus|Italian Menus|Steaks|Asian Menus|Pizza|German Menus|Desserts|American Menus|French Menus|Soups & Salads|Barbeque Menus|Kosher Menus|Burgers|European Menus||Healthy Menus|Family Friendly|Breakfast|Delicatessens|Food Delivery|Food Delivery|Catering
- Payment method:
- amex, master card, visa, cash, check, discover
- Lake View East, North Side, Lakeview
- Restaurants, Food & Beverage Consultants
- Other Information:
Good For Family: Yes
Good For Groups: Yes
Bike Parking: Yes
Wheelchair Accessible: Yes
Cuisines: Deli, Jewish, Barbecue, Chicken, American, French, Bagels, European, Steakhouse, Chinese, Continental, Omelets, Asian, Mediterranean, Sandwiches, Family Style, Italian, Seafood, Dessert, Ice Cream, Middle Eastern, German, Pan Asian, Pizza, Kosher, Pastries, Californian
Parking: Street, Lot, Private
Takes Reservations: No
Outdoor Seating: No
Price Range : Average
12/23/2011Provided by Citysearch -
I've been going there for years --the FREE parking is huge in this neighborhood!--If they did not control it the abusers would be using my (& other real customers) space. Whenever I have asked the management if I could make another short stop after eating --they said OK no problem as long as I had dined first.
Great food and a loong history in Chicago make this a favorite. Just use common sense and appreciate the parkling lot freebie.
02/06/2009Provided by Citysearch -
I am very pleased to have a Jewish deli in my neighborhood, but please folks, improve the food and I'll be there all the time!
My main complaint is whitefish salad, way way too much mayonnaise. The whitefish should be in chunks, lightly covered with mayo, so you can actually taste the fish. Anywhere else in Chicago to get it without making it myself?
Meat filled blintzes are good, not great. The filling is a bit too dry. Add some broth to the filling when you make it!
The apple strudel is wonderful -- lots of apple, great texture, a keeper!!!
01/03/2009Provided by Citysearch -
When visiting Chicago from San Diego, I was lucky enough to have my friend, and business colleague, William, take me to his favorite deli.
I ordered the Salmon Salad Sandwich and asked the best bread to eat it on. The owner suggested Halla bread. I was so pleasantly surprised - this was the most amazing sandwich that I've ever eaten. There was not a lot of ""filling"" or mayo, mostly fresh salmon, and it was such an experience. I even told the manager that he had to open a shop in San Diego, to which he replied, "" I can send you the Salmon Salad on dry ice.""!! OMG.
They are friendly, family oriented and the food kept me going back for the three weeks I was there. The best food ever from a deli.
08/20/2007Provided by Citysearch -
i am sure some people may be fooled but this southern boy was not. I was convinced to order the southern fried chicken after listening to the manager go on and on about the best ever southern fried chicken fresh never frozen and just finished cooking. Upon arrival the 1/2 chicken looked good, in fact there was nothing wrong with the chicken, except it was not fried . the skin was not even crisp. i would dare to say this chicen was made with shake and bake, maybe the southern style. a huge disappointment and false advertisement. next time i will ask him a question or two such as ,what type of oil is the chicken fried in? is there a cast iron skillet involved? what makes this chicken southern? hmm. i wonder.
07/14/2007Provided by Citysearch -
A favorite spot when I'm in the area, The Bagel serves up delicious soups and sandwiches. While I'll usually get any of their deli sandwiches and some matzo ball soup, the server recommended that I try the kreplach soup to compliment my patty melt. Outstanding! Bring an appetite as you definitely get fed - pickles and bread come free. Yum!
06/23/2007Provided by Citysearch -
I like the food at the Bagel, but year after year the service gets worse. They may or may not bring bread and butter to the table. The ice tea tastes like soap BTW. At least it is clean. They say they deliver but do not always want to. When the do they do not want to bring it to the apartment. They want you to go to the lobby. Delivery to me means to the door. At the restaurant you have to order ""to go"" at the deli not the table. So if after a meal you want to order something extra you have to stand in line. I would rather sit at the table and enjoy the coffee while i am waiting. All in all I do not think it is worth it. There are so many places to go in the Lakeview area. I hope they get it together and maybe I will go back.
12/16/2006Provided by Citysearch -
We went here on the recommendation of a colleague of mine and were not disappointed. The service was fast and friendly (they even gave us extra bread to take home since we devoured the delicious selection of challah, muesli, and bagel chips that were placed on our table). The kreplach soup was delicious, as was the rueben and skirt steak sandwich. The atmosphere was also great, lots of families and friends. A large place, but it realyl felt homey.
After reading the reviews on here, we decided to forgo parking in the lot and found a spot on Broadway (and this was 7 p.m. on Friday). Please don't let the parking reviews deter you from a delicious meal!