Charles Town LibraryAdd to mybook
- General Info:
- Charles Town Library200 East Washington Street Charles Town, WV 25414Phone: 304-725-2208 FAX 304-725-6618History of the Charles Town LibraryFounded in 1927, the Charles Town Library has provided library services to the citizens of Jefferson County, West Virginia for over 80 years. Originally housed in the "little white house" in the 200 block of East Washington Street, the current building has evolved to include both the Charles Town Library and the Jefferson County Museum. The Charles Town Library is located at the corner of Samuel and Washington Streets in downtown Charles Town.Miss Elsie Murphy purchased the little white house in May 1928 and deeded it to a board of trustees for use as a library. As a tribute to Miss Murphy's mother, the trustees named the library the Helen Platt Murphy Memorial Library. In April 1958 a charter was issued by the Secretary of State of West Virginia to create the Old Charles Town Library, Inc a non-stock, non-profit corporation to acquire, build and operate a facility for the community. The plan for this new facility included a civic center, offices for the Chamber of Commerce, a library and a museum.The first organizational meeting of the new corporation was held on May 14th, 1958 at the home of Miss Elsie Murphy. The first Board of Directors, each elected to a one-year term, included: Elsie B. Murphy, President ; Allen R. Marshall, Vice-President ; Mary M. Porterfield, Secretary & Treasurer ; and Directors John Alfriend, Mrs. Brooke Blackford, Sara Coe, Donald Eackles, Helen Martin, Thornton T. Perry, Virginia Rider, and Thomas Steptoe.In June, 1961 members of the Chamber of Commerce were advised that Miss Murphy had purchased the land and the home adjacent to the Charles Town Library for the location of a cultural center in which the chamber, library, and museum would be housed. In 1963 plans for the cultural center were announced to the public, and a fund raising campaign was launched to build the facility. Dedication of the completed facility was held on September 19th, 1965.On December 9th, 1982 plans were announced for a 3, 200 square foot addition to the Old Charles Town Library. The building was expanded from the original T-shape to the present H-shape. The grand opening and rededication ceremony was held on October 2nd, 1983.
- Extra Phones:
Fax Number: (304) 725-6618