Central Valley Electric Cooperative offers service to more than 3,400 members who require in excess of 11,400 meters spread over more than 3,718 miles of distribution line. The cooperative is a member-owned electrical energy provider that serves rural consumers in Eddy, Chaves, as well as small portions of Lea and Otero counties in southeastern New Mexico. It was incorporated June 23, 1937. The cooperative received its first loan from the Rural Electrification Administration for $90,000. From this modest beginning the cooperative has expanded its plant to $64 million dollars. Annual usage in 2003 exceeded 680 million kilowatt hours with a peak kilowatt demand of 116 megawatts. Central Valley Electric Cooperative s headquarters are centrally located in Artesia, N.M.